Sunday, October 6, 2013

Week Forty: Starting a Small Food Drive.

Week 40; my project will reach its end in twelve weeks. What a self-reflective journey this has been so far. Every week I strive to be more creative and original with my gestures, hoping to affect, help and inspire and the responses has been incredible. Thanks to all who have been fallowing and supporting me throughout this past year.

This week, October was my muse. A transitional and colourful month, where thanks are given and frights are had. Hunger, however, never takes a break no matter the time of year. According to Free the Children’s website, 870 million around the world go hungry and from 2008 to 2012, there was a 31% increase in use of food banks. These numbers are horrifying to me – even more than David Hasselhoff’s performance in any movie, ever. 
So I thought I’d do my share and for Halloween, instead of collecting candy like I used to as a kid, this year, I’ll be collecting canned goods and distributing them to those in need (and save my teeth the aches). I took a box, stuck a note on it and left it in my building’s entrance. At the end of the month, I’ll be bringing whatever I collected to the local food bank. 


Instagram: @geneseguin #k4kproject


Hopefully my neighbours will get in the Halloween spirit and help scare the hunger away.  

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment