Sunday, February 10, 2013

Week Six: Homemade Card for a Bedridden All-Star Volunteer.


At work we have had the pleasure to get to know this wonderful and high-spirited lady who dedicates a lot of her time towards our music festival organization. If we need something to get done, we know that we can always rely on her to get it done quickly and with extreme precision. On top of being our right arm for all of our events, her marvelous personality and sharp humour always makes her a very pleasant person to be around.

A few months ago, we found out that she was to undergo a serious surgery in February, which would confine her to a bed for several months. The team agreed that sending her a care package to which we would all contribute would be a nice gesture to do to let her know that we are thinking about her. As she had made a homemade card and baked goodies for us for Christmas, I thought that it was appropriate for me to make a card for her in return. I decided to have fun with it and try something new. I had never done watercolour before and thanks to my wonderful roommate who had the patience to guide me through the process, I was able to come up with a somewhat decent design. The bike symbolizes not only her love of cycling, but also the determination and strength (both essential when biking) that will help her get back on the road to recovery. 

Instagram: geneseguin. #k4kproject

(I may or may not have used the cat as a model.)

Again, by being involved with Katimavik in the past, I can fully understand the positive impact of volunteer work in the community. It’s important to underline the work that volunteers do and make them realize that what they accomplish does not go unnoticed as they are often the backbone of organizations, especially for music festivals. So making this card was the least I could do to thank her for her help.

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment