Saturday, February 23, 2013

Week Seven: Clothing Collection from Friends for Donation Drop-Off. (#1)


Cottage weekend was coming up and 10 friends were attending. Samuel, one friend who unfortunately could not attend, suggested to ask everyone to bring something that could possibly be donated to people in need. I thought this was an amazing idea since it would be a great way to collect more items. Mo’ people, mo’ stuff, right? So I asked them to bring a couple of old articles of clothing that was taking up valuable space in their closets. (Nothing too big because everyone already had their hands and trunks full of stuff for the weekend.) It was also a great way to encourage them to start early on their Spring cleaning. Win-win situation, I thought! As expected, the group responded well to this idea. And then some. A few said that they actually had big bags of clothes to get rid of, so I suggested to wait until the following week to try to coordinate something and make one big trip to a donation centre instead. I reached out to another good friend of mine, Mathieu, who has a car (and a really big heart), to ask if he could help me bring everything to the Mission. He immediately agreed. I picked the Ottawa Mission as the designated drop-off centre as I wanted to make sure that the clothes would be put to good use, as opposed to being resold or thrown away. A couple of days after cottage weekend, the clothes were donated and everyone was left feeling lighter in clothes and good about their deed. I was happy to have acted as the bridge between the two. 

Thanks for the suggestion Sam!

Instagram: geneseguin. #k4kproject


What was even more impressive was the response I received post-posting this picture on Instagram and Facebook. A great number of people came up to me and said that they also had things to donate. As a result, I decided that it would be worth organizing a second clothing collection in the next little while. I will be coordinating that soon, so I will keep everyone posted. It’s great how word gets around so quickly!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment